menu-bgimg

What we can offer you

We provide detailed transactional data, cost benchmarks and in-depth analytics for participants in the wood raw materials supply chain.
  • Pricing Data
  • Benchmarks
  • Product Forecasting
  • Advisory Services
  • Analytics
Learn More

SilvaStat360 Platform

  • Price Benchmarks
  • Madison’s Lumber Reporter
  • The Beck Group’s Sawmill TQ
  • Timber Supply Analysis 
  • Global Economic Data

Explore Forest2Market's Interactive Business Intelligence Platform

Learn More

Industries

From biomass suppliers in the Baltics to pulp producers in Brazil and TIMOs in the United States, Forest2Market provides products and services for suppliers, producers and other stakeholders in the global forest products industry.

Learn More
x
 
Blog

EPA Denial of Waiver a Positive Sign for Wood-Based Biofuels Development

December 14, 2012
Author: Suz-Anne Kinney

As drought conditions intensified across many corn and livestock producing states in the US during the summer of 2012, many of the governors, state and national legislators in these states as well as industry associations asked the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for assistance. In particular, these groups requested the EPA waive volume requirements specified in the Renewable Fuel Standards (RFS) statute for ethanol production and use in 2012 and 2013. After considering their arguments, the EPA denied the requests.

Those who requested the waivers argued higher prices were putting farmers out of business. Mike Beebe, Governor of Arkansas, wrote in his petition: “While the drought may have triggered the price spike in corn, an underlying cause is the federal policy mandating ever-increasing amounts of corn for fuel. Because of this policy, ethanol production now consumes approximately 40 percent of the US corn crop, and the cost for use in food production has increased by 193 percent since 2005. Put simply, ethanol policies have created significantly higher corn prices, tighter supplies, and increased volatility.”

The EPA, in evaluating the request, modeled the impact a waiver would have on ethanol use as well as corn and food prices. It ran 500 scenarios through that model to assess the effect. In 89 percent of those scenarios, the EPA saw no impacts from the RFS program. In the remaining 11 percent, the average impact on corn prices was seven cents per bushel. This was not significant enough, in the agency’s opinion, to warrant a waiver.

While we may still be five to ten years away from large-scale wood-based biofuels production, this particular corn-based ethanol case may have ramifications for wood-based biofuels going forward.

First, the food versus fuel debate strengthens the case for wood-based biofuels. Second, the EPA has demonstrated it will interpret the waiver provision set forth by the RFS statute strictly. Those requirements, according to the EPA, include :

  • "EPA would have to determine that the implementation of the mandate itself would severely harm the economy; it is not enough to determine that implementation of RFS would contribute to such harm;
  • “EPA would also have to find that there is a generally high degree of confidence that the RFS is severely harming the economy; and
  • “This requirement calls for a high threshold for the nature and degree of harm that would support the issuance of a waiver based on “severe harm” to the economy of a State, region, or the United States.”

The EPA set a high standard of proof in this case and was systematic in determining whether that level of proof was met. According to the EPA standards, seven cents per bushel did not constitute “severe” harm to the economy. In addition, the EPA determined it was the drought—not the RFS mandate—that was responsible for the harm done in this case.

The good news for the biofuels industry? This ruling should increase confidence among investors and project developers who are working to establish new technologies for commercializing biofuels made from non-food sources.


Comments

EPA Denial of Waiver a Positive Sign for Wood-Base

12-14-2012

[...] EPA Denial of Waiver a Positive Sign for Wood-Based Biofuels Development. [...]

Back to Blog

You May Also be Interested In

May 15, 2020
EU General Court Tosses Anti-Biomass Case
In a win for wood biomass and the continued growth of renewable energy across Europe, the European General Court...
Continue Reading
May 05, 2020
Forest Service Announces Investments in Wood Energy and Innovation
The Guardian recently published a piece supporting the likelihood that the COVID-19 pandemic will have a drastic...
Continue Reading
April 28, 2020
How is COVID-19 Impacting the Global Bioenergy Sector?
The COVID-19 pandemic may have temporarily changed the way a number of businesses interact with customers, but those...
Continue Reading